Thank you for your interest in the Marines’ Memorial Scholarship Program! Below are the most frequently asked questions about the program and application process. Due to the high volume of calls and emails about the Scholarship Program, we recommend you read the questions below before contacting the Marines’ Memorial staff.
No, each student may only apply for one scholarship type per year. The online application program will not allow for more than one application per person.
The student must be the one to fill out the application. If an application is found to have been filled out by someone who is not the student, the applicant will be disqualified.
For the 2018-2019 school year, we have one scholarship type available to post-graduate students. This is the Nancy M. Schonher Scholarship. Applicants for the Schonher Scholarship must:
- Be female
- Have a Bachelor of Science or equivalent in a medical subject area that is an accepted precursor to the study of medicine
- Applicants must attend an advanced medical program with the goal of becoming a nurse, nurse practitioner, physician’s assistant, or medical doctor from an accredited American College or University for the 2017-2018 school year
- Meet one of the following:
- Be an active duty service member or a reservist in the US Armed Forces
- Have separated honorably from US Armed Forces since 2013
- Have recently transitioned from US Active Duty to Medical Service Corps
For the 2018-2019 school year, we have one scholarship type available to trade or vocational school students, the Wesley Hammon Leach Scholarship.
Applicants must be graduating high school seniors or returning college students. Juniors are not eligible, but we look forward to your application when you are a senior!
Letters of recommendation must be submitted online directly from your recommender. Here is the “how-to”: RECOMMENDATION REQUESTS
Absolutely! Scholarship monies are meant to cover tuition and other educational expenses. Please note that scholarship checks are payable to the awardees’ schools. If you have questions about if a scholarship will interfere with your GI Bill tuition assistance, please contact your college’s admissions department or Student Veteran Center. If you need any letters to your school or help from us, don’t hesitate to ask: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The online application must be submitted by April 20, 2018 at 5pm Pacific. If you complete the application, but do not hit the submit button, the application can not be considered. You may submit your application before all your letters or reference have been submitted.
- -If you are a student Veteran (post 9/11), but not an MMA member, you may apply for the Hammer Family Scholarship (Engineering and science majors only), the Tribute Scholarship (no restriction on major), the Wesley Hammon Leach Scholarship (Trade School/Associate’s degree students), or the Nancy M. Schonher Scholarship (female medical field post-grad students).
- If you are a student Veteran and an active Marines’ Memorial Member, you are eligible for all scholarships (where you fit the other criteria).
- If you are a child or grandchild of a Veteran, that Veteran MUST be an active Marines’ Memorial member for you to apply for a scholarship. Membership applications can be found online here: MMA Membership Application